Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cully Hamner on the Shades of RED and My Comic Book Syllabus

Cully Hamner carried this week's In Media Res topic of film and comic books into its second day (after Greg Smith's perfect opener on introducing comics to new readers).  His column looks at how his comic book collaboration with writer Warren Ellis became re-interpreted once it transitioned into the hands of director Robert Schwentke and became a film adaptation.  


I don't want to spoil his article, so I'll just direct you to the link above and leave you with two quotes before dropping into a digression on a comic book syllabus I prepared:  


"Faithfulness to form, literary or otherwise, is illusory: what matters is the equivalence in meaning of the forms."-Film theorist André Bazin


"No.  Not even in the face of Armageddon.  Never compromise."-Rorschach in Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons's Watchmen (1986-1987).  


More after the jump!  



Last year, I attempted to teach a class on the history of the American Comic Book.  Due to funding, the class was put on the back burner.  Below is a revised draft of the syllabus (I'd love any feedback that readers might be willing to supply).  My only recent addition would be to include two titles suggested to me by my distinguished dissertation committee member, Henry Jenkins


Paul Williams and James Lyons, eds.  The Rise of the American Comics Artist:  Creators and Contexts.


Jean-Paul Gabilliet.  Of Comics and Men:  A Cultural History of American Comic Books.  


Drew's The History and Form of the American Comic Book Syllabus.  


No comments:

Post a Comment