Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Introducing... Film School Fess Ups


I'll be introducing a new feature after the jump and it requires your input. 



Despite being in film school for almost ten years now, there are a lot of movies I have yet to see and the gaps in my knowledge are sometimes pretty hilarious.  For instance, I have seen Pier Paolo Pasolini's La Ricotta (1962) but I have not seen Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975).  Similarly, I have watched Orson Welles's lost television pilot The Fountain of Youth (1956) but I have not watched Chimes at Midnight (1965). 

This phenomenon, which sometimes makes an appearance on Twitter at the hashtag #FilmSchoolFessUp, is not limited to myself.  For instance, I have been pushing off watching Robert Altman's Nashville (1975) for years now.  My procrastination is not due to disinterest in the film; I just keep on waiting for a classmate (who also has yet to see it) to come over, crack a beer, and watch it with me. 

The list goes on and in order to both celebrate and remedy the situation, I've decided to launch a podcast feature entitled "Film School Fess Ups."  Below I've provided a list of ten films for you to choose from (although I think we'll launch, symbolically, with Nashville).  I could also use willing subjects (if you haven't seen a film and would like to watch it and come on the podcast with me, I'd love to have you) and software recommendations for recording and editing a podcast.  Please leave any recommendations below! 

If you can help out the Cinema Doctor, he'd greatly appreciate it and he'll repay you with a fresh pad of cinematic prescriptions. 

Films for Selection (taken from the Internet Movie Database's Top 250 and the American Film Institute's Top 100). 

The African Queen (1951) 
Bringing Up Baby (1938) 
Cinema Paradiso (1988)   
Das Boot (1981) 
The Last Picture Show (1971) 
Life is Beautiful (1997) 
Princess Mononke (1997) 
Rocky (1976) 
Shane (1953) 
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) 

No comments:

Post a Comment